Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Are You a Native?




Are you a native? That seems to be an issue among some people in New Hampshire – whether we are homegrown Granite Staters or imports from somewhere else. Are you a New Hampshire native? How many people here born in New Hampshire? Let’s have a show of hands. I confess I am not a NH native. My ancestors were among the first permanent settlers in NH; they were on the very first boat of settlers who landed at Dover Point in 1623 and mostly remained in that southeastern part of NH for 300 years. But that doesn’t help me with my NH credentials because I had the misfortune of being born in Massachusetts. My grandfather married a woman from Nova Scotia – my grandmother - and then moved to the Massachusetts Northshore. That is how I was born a flatlander! Now that you know that I am an immigrant to NH, let’s get to the real important issue. How many of you are Sandwich natives … born in Sandwich? The rest of us are immigrants then.

Immigration is a hot button issue these days in Washington. There is a lot of talk about protecting our borders, illegal immigrants and illegal aliens, and how to give them a path to citizenship. Today I am not going to talk about that type of immigration. I will leave that to the politicians and the talk shows. I am going to talk about citizenship in heaven. Our epistle reading for today says in verse 20 “For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” The scriptures tell us in several places that in a spiritual sense we are not natives of this country or even this earth. In the eleventh chapter of Hebrews, the author gives a list of some of the great saints of the Old Testament, and then concludes:

“13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. 14 For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland. 15 And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.”

This is the topic we are going to be looking at this morning. I hope it will give us a new perspective on our place in this life.

First, I want to talk about our dual citizenship.  We have an earthly citizenship and a heavenly citizenship. At my father-in-laws funeral earlier this month I met some relatives I had never known before. One was my father-in-law’s brother who is a 91 year old retired United Methodist minister. Early in his ministry he was a missionary in Burma. His oldest daughter, who I also got to meet, was born in Burma. That means she has dual citizenship. I read an article recently about tour companies that charge high fees to bring Chinese families to visit the US on what is called baby tours. Mothers who are eight or nine months pregnant fly to California and stay in “maternity hotels” or “maternity mansions” just long enough to have their babies here. Then after the birth they fly back to China. They do this so that their children will have dual citizenship; they are both American and Chinese citizens. They want this so their children can easily attend US colleges and also to get around the China’s one child policy. There is a loophole in Chinese law that says that children born in the US to Chinese parents do not count for population control purposes. In this way Chinese families can have more than one child.

As Christians we have dual citizenship. If we were born in the US or immigrated to America and became naturalized American citizens, then we are citizens of this land. As citizens we have obligations to this country. We pay taxes to this country. Hopefully we vote in this country. Hopefully we love this country. I certainly do. Many will serve this country in the military and risk their lives and even give their lives for this country. This is a noble thing.

We could also say in that we as human beings are natives of this earth. Our ancestors were not aliens from another planet, regardless of what Scientology says. We came from the earth. The Genesis creation story says that our bodies were made from the earth, and will return to the earth at our death. We are walking, breathing clumps of earth. So in a sense we are truly natives of this earth.

But the Scriptures also say that as Christians we are also citizens of heaven. As that passage in Hebrews says, we confess that we are strangers and pilgrims on the earth. the old hymn says,

This world is not my home I'm just a passing through
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.


          In a Christian’s life there is a sense of dual loyalties. Jesus said that we are in this world but not of this world.  Jesus said of his followers: “They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.” The Philippians, whom the apostle was writing to in our epistle reading, knew what this felt like. And it is instructive to remind ourselves of the historical context of this letter.  Paul wrote this letter to the church at Philippi from prison in Rome. The city of Philippi was a Roman colony. Although Philippi was located in Greece in the region of Macedonia, it did not have a Greek way of life. The residents of Philippi lived as if they were in Rome, even though Philippi was located in Macedonia. The Philippians lived in Macedonia but they considered their homeland to be Rome. The majority of the inhabitants there held Roman citizenship. Because they held this citizenship, they enjoyed various special privileges. Paul himself held Roman citizenship, which he was proud of and which he would use to his advantage when dealing with the authorities. So when the Philippians heard the words, "Our citizenship is in heaven" the disciples of Philippi knew exactly what he was talking about.

          Do we know what he is talking about? I hope we do as Christians. I think that we should love our heavenly country as much as our earthly one. There have been in the news recently stories of people who have given up their citizenship, apparently to save money on taxes. Eduardo Saverin, the billionaire co-founder of Facebook gave up his American citizenship and is living in Singapore. The singer Tina Turner is renouncing her U.S. citizenship in order to become a citizen of Switzerland. Gérard Depardieu, the famous French actor, renounced his French citizenship because of France’s high taxes and has been granted Russian citizenship by Vladimir Putin. These folks obviously love their money more than their country.

I want us to contemplate for a moment our love of country - love of our heavenly country. It is wonderful to love America. I love this country, and I love to sing patriotic songs proclaiming love for our nation. Some people are uncomfortable with singing nationalistic hymns in church, that it is somehow a violation of the separation of church and state. The chairman of deacons in my last church didn’t like it, but I enjoy it. But what I don’t like is that many people who enthusiastically sing American anthems do not have the same feelings for our heavenly country. I would go even further than that. Many people seem to have more loyalty to a particular political party than to their heavenly country. Many people are more knowledgeable about, read more about, talk more about, watch news more about, the political and social issues of the day than the spiritual issues of eternity.  I think that many people’s hearts are much more in love with earthly countries than heavenly country.

          Let’s take about serving our country as an example. We have many thousands who serve in our all-volunteer United States military. They go through difficult training, endure harsh physical conditions, risk their lives, and risk serious injury in places like Afghanistan for their country. I respect them greatly. They do not get paid what they should get paid, in my opinion. I think the wounded veterans don’t get all the care they should – especially when it comes to mental and emotional wounds like PTSD. I have the most tremendous respect and honor for everyone who serves in the military, as you know. That is why I pray for them every Sunday in worship. My point is that I just wish there was just as much dedication, bravery and loyalty among Americans to Christ. I wish that just as many young men and women willing to risk their lives to serve the cause of Christ. I think about the example of Mormon missionaries, 18 year-olds who serve two years at their own expense somewhere in the world under Spartan conditions. From the time they are children they save up their money, not to buy a car or go to college, but to serve for two years as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That is admirable. Why is there not a similar dedication and sacrifice in Protestant churches? Mainline churches struggle even to have this age group as part of their congregations, much less to serve sacrificially as missionaries.

Let’s just not talk about young people. How about people of all age? How about us? I am not saying this to make anyone feel guilty. I am saying this to get us thinking about sacrificial love for God. How does our love for God compare to our love for country? Jesus taught that the most important thing in life is to love God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Jesus loved God with all his heart, and he loved us so much that he gave his life. How do we measure up to this standard? This is something to ponder during Lent.

Another aspect of being a citizen of heaven is to remember that we represent our country. The apostle Paul calls us ambassadors for Christ. An ambassador for the United States represents the United States in other lands to other people. In fact our embassies in our countries are considered American territory. The way that ambassador speaks and acts and treats people reflects upon the character of America. In a lesser sense that is true of all Americans. That is why when a preacher in Florida burns a Quran it has ripple effects across the globe in Muslim lands. They consider that the behavior of that one American Christian preacher reflects America and American Christians, even though we insist that it doesn’t. That is how Americans can do great damage to the reputation of Christianity and America. The same is true of that hate group known as the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas which is notorious for their for picketing holding slanderous signs at just about any event – especially funerals, military funerals and most recently the funerals of the children who died in Newtown, Connecticut. They give a bad name to Baptists, and I have to explain that they do not represent me or any Baptists that I know.  As Christians, you and I represent Christ.

We represent our spiritual country here in this our earthly country. A devotion that Paula Kuehn gave at a deacon’s meeting recently on this subject reminded me of an experience in my own life. One time in the church I served in Pennsylvania, a mother and child were coming through the greeting line, shaking my hand after worship. The mother asked her son if he knew who I was. He shook his head in the affirmative. Yes, he knew who I was. His mother asked him “Who?” He replied, “God.” I represented God to that little boy. Tell me that is not a heavy responsibility! I have never forgotten that, and I will never forget it. I am not God, but I realize that as a pastor that I represent God, and not just to four-year olds. I represent this church to those outside this church. I represent Christianity to those of other religions or no religion. In Pennsylvania I was a regular guest on a radio show called “Religious Roundtable” in which I had on-air discussions with leaders of other religions. After September 2001 I had a series on on air discussions and debates with a Muslim imam from Pittsburgh. I was very conscious during those shows that I represented Christianity to all those people listening. All of us as Christians all the time represent Christ to others. We might not want that responsibility, but it is our responsibility nonetheless. People will judge the church by our behavior – by my behavior and your behavior. We are ambassadors for God and his kingdom. We are ambassadors for our heavenly country to this our earthly country.

Another point is that we are to live by the standards of our heavenly country. A lot of Americans live by a lowest common denominator morality of our country. By that I mean that if it is legal in the United States of America, then we assume it is alright for a Christian to do. That is not true. We are to live by a higher standard of morality than the culture around us. That is what Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount is all about. Over and over he says, ‘You have heard that it was said… but I say unto you.” Jesus will quote a law, but then say we are to surpass the law. For example he says, “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.” He says, “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.” We are to surpass the common standard of morality of our society because we are citizens of a higher country with higher values. We represent our Heavenly Father. Therefore it doesn’t matter what laws Congress passes; what matters is God’s law. It doesn’t matter what our society says is permissible. What matters is what is permissible in God’s eyes. 

Finally we have to give an account to the Ruler of our Heavenly Country. “For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” I know that people don’t like the idea of judgment these days. We like judgment when it comes to earthly things. Americans can be very judgmental when it comes to punishing criminals with mandatory sentences. We can be very judgmental with it comes to our politics or social causes. But when it comes to religion, people pull out the trump card ‘Judge not, lest ye be judged!” And that is true. We are not judges of anyone. But there is a Judge of everyone. Scripture says that is the Lord Jesus Christ. In many parables Jesus talks about the Son of Man coming at the end of history to judge the nations. Christians identify that Son of Man as Jesus himself. We are not to judge, but Christ will. We are accountable to him. During our earthly sojourns we are accountable to other people in our jobs and our families and other social obligations. But ultimately we are accountable to God as the Head of the Kingdom of God for the way we live our earthly lives. That is because we are ultimately citizens of heaven and are accountable to heaven’s King. Therefore we are to live in such a way that brings honor to our Lord and our God. May each of us here live in such an honorable manner as faithful citizens of God’s kingdom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment